Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Thoughts about Sparta Illinois

Dear Family and Friends,

I just wanted to write you a letter and tell you all some of the details about what I am doing over here in Sparta Illinois. 

Elder Keel is my companion now, and has been for a few weeks.  He is a really good guy.  I am having a little bit of a hard time with him though because of my dyslexia.  He is trying to help me out and make me have good habits but because of my dyslexia, I just take it that he is trying to be mean or rude when he is really just trying to teach me. 

My area is not doing too good.  This area is very old and most of the people know who we are and try to avoid us.  There are many churches, and a lot of people just think that we are out to convert them and nothing else.  Many of them think that we are Jehovah's Witnesses and are afraid of us. 

We don't really do anything on our P-days except clean the apartment and the car.  There is not really that much to do here in southern Illinois.  The only thing that we have talked about planning is to maybe go golfing, but that might be too expensive. 

Elder Keel and I are both pretty tired of working in Sparta.  All we have done is work in Sparta because we were low on miles.  We are pretty burnt out and don't want to work in Sparta.  We have been trying to go see some of the other towns that we have never visited.  Today we went to a town called Cutler Illinois and tried to meet some new people. 

There are a lot of less actives here and a lot of excommunicated members.  It is kind of funny because most of them don't know very much about the church at all.  It is starting to get very green here.  Some of the places are very pretty, but most places here are baren.  Our area is very big.  Some of it is really hilly, but everywhere else is super flat. 

I was wondering if you could send me my Book of Mormon that is in German.  I am trying to keep up with the German that I have already learned and that would really help. 

Soon I will be sending home some things that I have collected and can't pack around with me.  I just wanted you to know that I did not go out of my way to get the things I have sent home.  I either got them for free or for less than $5. 

Write me back as soon you can and I think that it would be cool if you guys would write me hand written letters.  The DearElder letters are cool and all, but it is more special to me to have them hand written.  Don't forget to tell Josh and Ben to write me back too.

Love,
Elder Butler

P.S. I have reported to my new area in Florissant, MO.  Like I said, my new companion is Elder Stowe.  I know that I told you I would only be able to call on Mother's Day, but I have just found out that I will be able to Skype.  I should be able to Skype Sunday afternoon.  My new address is:

940 Torero Lane
Florissant, MO 63031

I look forward to getting lots of letters from you all at this address.

Love Elder Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment